The Interaction between Discrimination and Integration
An analysis of existing research
- Factsheet on the research project -
Discrimination has the following effects on the integration of people with a migrant background:
- The experience of discrimination can trigger a re-ethnicisation process.
- The constant confrontation with prejudices and stereotypes has a negative impact on self-esteem.
- Marginalisation and discrimination increase the danger of a propensity towards violence.
- Discrimination prevents integration into the labour market and goes hand in hand with an increased risk of poverty.
- Discrimination has a negative effect on mental and physical health whereby day-to-day stress factors such as ‘daily hassles’ have a negative impact on a person’s life satisfaction.